The Rev. Tony Hiatt was installed a priest in charge at the Episcopal Church in Wise County on Monday, May 16, 2016, in the small white church 905 S. Church Street, Decatur, TX. that began its existence in 1889 as the Episcopal Mission Chapel of the Ascension. Read the history of the building.
The Celebration of a New Ministry happened almost exactly one year after the Wise County Episcopalians moved into the historic building, on May 17, 2015. The Rt. Rev. Rayford B. High, Jr., preached, and celebrated and the Rt. Rev. J. Scott Mayer did the institution. Mayer was suffering from laryngitis but was able to give voice to his joy at the occasion and at the happy accomplishments of the Wise County congregation.
And it was a happy occasion, despite the failure of the air conditioner right before the service began. Open doors allowed some air to move through and the sound of joyous hymns to escape into the Spring air. A new baptismal font was blessed. It was made, like the alter and many other items in the church, by Mark Whitley, one of the founding members of the congregation.
A reception followed on the deck outside the church.
Hiatt is a graduate of Brite Divinity School and the Iona School for Ministry; while in seminary, he assisted in the revival of Cursillo in the diocese. He was ordained to the diaconate in October, 2014, and to the priesthood in April, 2015. He served as transitional deacon, then as assisting priest at St. Luke’s in the Meadow Episcopal Church, Fort Worth, and was appointed as priest-in-charge of the Episcopal Church of Wise County on August 1.