Do you want to nominate someone for election to the diocesan standing committee at the November 2014 diocesan convention? Do you have a resolution to place before the convention? Are you required to submit a report on your ministry’s activities to convention? Would you like to see an article of our diocesan constitution be revised? Do you think our diocese should vote to support an initiative at The Episcopal Church’s 2015 General Convention in Salt Lake City? If any of these are important to you, you need to know more about canonical deadlines.
Two months before diocesan convention (which this year will be held in Arlington November 14 and 15) is the deadline for submitting nominations, avoiding the requirements of nomination from the floor of convention.
- Nomination for anyone seeking election to diocesan offices.(Canon 45.7) This year nominations will be sought for members of the standing committee, the disciplinary board, and the clergy trustee for the University of the South.
Sixty days prior to convention, legislative items are due to convention secretary Bruce Coggin.
- The text of any resolutions to come before the convention (Standing Rule 11)
- Canon changes – new, altered, amended, or repealed (Article 18, Constitution)
- Any report to be submitted to convention and included in the printed journal of convention
Thirty days before diocesan convention is the last day for congregations to
- bring their assessments current or risk losing voice and/or vote at convention (Canon 16.5)
- bring their audits up to date or risk losing voice and/or vote at convention (Canon 29.1.4)
Additional deadlines apply to the diocesan secretary and other elected and appointed bodies of the diocese, in order to assure that the members of convention receive materials timely.
Need more information about any of the requirements or deadlines? Contact the diocesan office: firstname.lastname@example.org, 817-534-1900.