Pope Francis said, “First you pray for the hungry, then you go out and feed them. That is how prayer works.”
This week begins the Reverse Advent Calendar In-gathering for 4Saints Food Pantry. If you are not familiar with a Reverse Advent Calendar, read on. It’s easy and a great way to observe Advent while helping other.
Who: Anyone can participate. These items will be donated to the 4 Saints Food Pantry.
What: This is the opposite of the usual Advent calendar where children get trinkets to count down the days until Christmas Day. With this calendar we give back daily by placing an item in the box each day.
When: December 1st until Christmas Eve!
How: Any box or container will do OR you can pick up two empty wine boxes which have 12 separated compartments. Feel free to get the family involved and decorate the box. Add one item for each of the 24 days of Advent.
“It’s not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving.” Mother Teresa
- Toiletries: Bar Soap, Deodorant, Shampoo, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste Soup- 10.5 oz cans: Tomato, Chicken, Vegetable
- Chicken Broth, 14 oz cans Dry Pinto Beans, 1 lb. bags Rice, 1 or 2 lb. bags
- Canned Veggies, 15 oz cans: Corn, Green Beans, Diced Tomatoes, Kidney Beans, Great Northern Beans, Refried Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Green Peas
- Canned Fruit, 15oz cans: Peaches, Pears, Fruit Cocktail, Pineapple Mac & Cheese Boxed 7.5 oz
- Boxed Pasta,16oz: Macaroni, Spaghetti, Rotini Pasta Sauce
- Peanut Butter Smooth, 18 oz Corn Bread Mix boxed, 8.5 oz
- Canned Meat: Chicken 7 oz, Tuna 7 oz, Spam 12 oz, Salmon 14.75oz Cooking Oil, 48 oz
- Sugar 2-4 lbs
- Flour 2-4 lbs