The Diocesan Mission and Outreach Committee has announced the allocation of grants for 2016 to help with programs that aid the homeless, care for orphans, provide medical care for lepers, feed the hungry, encourage literacy, and much more.
In 2011 the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth voted to affirm the principal of the tithe. The Diocesan Mission and Outreach Committee was established to help allocate funds set aside in the annual budget for outreach.
In 2012, convention voted to set a goal of budgeting 10 percent of the budget for charity by 2018. We are on track to meet that goal. The amount has increased every year. It was 7 percent in 2015, 8 percent in 2016, and will be 9 percent in 2017.
Funds are offered in two categories: Matching Grant Outreach Program for outreach within the diocese, and the Beyond the Diocese Outreach Impact Program for outreach needs beyond the geographical boundaries of the diocese.
An individual member of the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth, members of a congregation within the diocese, members of several congregations within the diocese representing a common organization, or congregations within a deanery may submit applications for funds.
In 2016, the total funding available was $23,825 for the Matching Grant Outreach Program within the diocese and $4,217 for the Diocesan Outreach Impact Program beyond the diocese. All available funds were given away in grants.
The committee also documents that the donated funds are used for the purposes requested in the grants. This is not only for accountability, but also to enable the committee to gather information about the good works resulting from these grants.
Members of the committee are Chair Dr. Tim Stevens, St. Christopher, Fort Worth; the Rev. Karen Calafat, St. Luke’s in the Meadow, Fort Worth; Mrs. Jane Dennis, St. Luke’s, Sephenville, the Rev. Robert Gross, St. Stephen’s, Hurst, Mr. Fred Morgan, St. Alban’s, worshiping in Theatre Arlington; and Mrs. Gretchen Smith, All Saints’, Fort Worth. Canon Janet Waggoner is an ex-offico member.
Matching Grant Outreach Program Grants
- $2,125 – St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Keller/Southlake, for Shoe the Clients at Union Gospel Mission
- $1,275 – St. Stephen’s, Hurst, for Caring Soles
- $425 – St. Stephen’s, Hurst, for 6 Stones
- $4,250 – St. Luke’s, Stephenville, for Tarleton Campus Ministry
- $1,700 – Good Shepherd, Granbury, for Hood County Christmas
- $3,230 – St. Christopher, Fort Worth, for Fresh is Better/ Christian Community Assistance
- $ 6,570 – Ft. Worth East Deanery for 4 Saints Food Pantry
- $ 4,250 – Tarrant Churches Together and its Ready, Set, Go! Centers
Total – $ 23,825
Beyond the Diocese Outreach Impact Program Grants
- $1,215 – St. Martin in the Fields, Keller/Southlake, for Stop Hunger Now/ International Hunger Relief
- $500 – All Saints’, Fort Worth, for Amazing Grace Orphanage, Kenya
- $627 – St. Christopher, Fort Worth, for Leprosy Medical Mission, Hyderabad, India
- $1,875 – Trinity, Fort Worth, for Episcopal Zambian Assistance Program, Zambia
Total – $4,217