In the wake of the mass shooting in Odessa, people have been wanting to help, to do something in addition to praying.
So here’s what you can do. Write letters or cards or make posters or other art work and send them to the children at St. John’s Episcopal School, 401 N County Rd W, Odessa, TX 79763.
Here are the guidelines offered by The Rev. Ricardo Lopez, chaplain, after discussions with parents of the children:
- Don’t mention the mass shooting – we don’t want to re-traumatize the children.
- Do talk about how many people are wrapping them up in prayer and love.
- Do talk about how they are beloved children of God, and of their community.
- Do talk about the beauty and joy they bring to the world.
- Do talk about how God delights in them.
This can be an individual or group project, appropriate for all ages. Just remember, DO NOT mention the shootings.