UPDATED: Bishop Scott Mayer to attend EYE with delegations from the dioceses of Fort Worth and Northwest Texas. Read more here.
UPDATED with application forms. See links below.
Every three years since 1982, The Episcopal Church convenes an international youth event so “that the energy of the youth of the Episcopal Church can continue to be utilized in active ministry as members of the Body of Christ.” (General Convention Resolution #1982-D079)
These events have become famous for being fun, lively, and life-changing for those in attendance. One person said of her transformative EYE experience, “Who knew the Holy Spirit was a teenager!”
In 2017 the Episcopal Youth Event is July 10-14 at the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, OK, slightly more than three hours north up I-35W from Fort Worth. The hashtag for the event is #EYE17
There is room for 1,000 participants, 24 of which can come from our diocese. Cost is $350. This includes 11 meals, lodging during the event, all EYE17 workshops and plenary sessions, and any other regularly planned activities during EYE17. It does not include transportation to and from Oklahoma or any pre-or post-EYE17 activities. The diocese will pay for transportation as a group to Oklahoma.
This year, each diocese is responsible for registering its delegation. Bishop Scott Mayer has named the Rev. Andrew Wright, Trinity, Fort Worth, as registrar for EYE 2017. All youth in the diocese in grades 9 through 12 are invited to apply. Applicants must be:
- Currently enrolled in 9-12 grade (or a home school equivalent age) during 2016-2017
- Active in an Episcopal church/congregation or ministry in this diocese
- Enthusiastic about The Episcopal Church
- Committed to our common baptismal ministry
(Book of Common Prayer, pages 304-305)
Additionally, adult chaperones, both male and female, will be needed. One adult for every 4-6 youth is required. Maximum number of adults is 6. Applicants for chaperones must:
- Be 23 years of age
- Have completed Prevention of Sexual Misconduct Training
- Have a current (within 5 years) criminal/sexual background check on file in the diocesan office
- Be active in an Episcopal church/congregation or ministry in this diocese
- Be enthusiastic about The Episcopal Church and energized by learning alongside young people
- Be committed to empowering youth to be disciples in the world
- Be committed to our common baptismal ministry (Book of Common Prayer, pages 304-305)
Wright soon will be sending out emails to clergy leading congregations, wardens, and youth ministers of our congregations with information about application details for both youth and for adult chaperones. When the application forms for youth participant and for adult chaperones are available, they will be posted here.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE TURNED IN BY JANUARY 31. Wright, in consultation with youth ministers from congregations in the diocese, will select the 24-member delegation from among the applicants. Notifications will be sent out the first week of February.
If the cost is burdensome or not possible, or if you need more information, please contact Wright directly at (contact information removed). The diocese does not want cost alone to prevent a young person from attending.