NOTE: UPDATED with corrected information on Trustee for Sewanee, University of the South. Convention will elect a lay member, not a clergy member.
The 2019 Diocesan Convention will be November 8 and 9 at the Decatur Civic Center in Decatur. Convention delegates will be voting to fill several important leadership roles in the diocese. Please spend some time in prayer and discernment about whether you are called to such a role. If so, please nominate yourself. If you nominate another person, you must have that person’s consent. Nominations must include a short biography and a head shot photo. Nominations will be accepted through September 9, 2019. They should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These offices will be filled:
- Four lay deputies and two alternates for General Convention 2021
- Four clergy deputies and two alternates for General Convention 2021
- Note: The EDFW Deputation will serve for three years, from the time they are elected until the next deputation election at the 2022 Diocesan Convention. This term includes the 2021 General Convention in Baltimore, Maryland. Duties will include but are not limited to travel, deputation meetings, preparation, legislative as well as committee sessions, worship, and reporting back. Diocesan conventions elect deputies as members of the House of Deputies of the Episcopal Church’s triennial General Convention. The General Convention sets the mission priorities, budget and policies of the Episcopal Church for the next three years. It approves changes to the Church’s Constitution and Canons, and broadly defines the standards of worship.
- One lay member for the Standing Committee
- One clergy member for the Standing Committee
- Note: The Standing Committee is the council of advice for the bishop or the ecclesiastical authority of the diocese if there is no bishop.
- Two lay Members-at-Large for the Diocesan Executive Council
- One clergy Member-at-Large for the Diocesan Executive Council
- Note: The Executive Council carries on the work of the Diocesan Convention during the rest of the year when the Convention is not in session.
- Two clergy members of the Disciplinary Board for a term of three years.
- One lay member of the Disciplinary Board for a term of three years.
- Note: The Disciplinary Board meets as needed when called by the bishop. The Disciplinary Board handles matters of Ecclesiastical Discipline.
- One lay member as Trustee of Sewanee, University of the South, for a three year term.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, attending a trustee meeting in the fall at the University of the South at Sewanee, TN, which usually involves several weekdays, especially for a new trustee; there is an optional spring meeting also. There may be some expenses related to this responsibility, and reimbursement is available if requested. The Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is one of the owning dioceses of the University of the South and thus is represented at the primary Trustee meeting.
In making nominations, the work of each office as well as the general requirements for nominees must be taken under consideration:
(1) Be at least 18 years of age
(2) Meet qualifications to hold office nominated
(3) Be willing to stand for election and willing to serve if elected
(4) Acknowledge fiduciary duty under The Episcopal Church Canon I.17.8: “Any person accepting any office in this Church shall well and faithfully perform the duties of that office in accordance with the Constitution and Canons of this Church and of the Diocese in which the office is being exercised.”
(5) to read the Constitution & Canons of The Episcopal Church and to give faithful performance to duties in accordance with the same
(6) Be willing to perform the duties of elected office (i.e., attend all meetings, share responsibility of work, etc.)
(7) Provide a brief bio and head shot photo
(8) Verify membership in the diocese by the following
(8.1.) Laity – Adult communicant in good standing of a parish within the Diocese of Fort Worth, for approximately one year
(8.2) Clergy – Canonically resident in the Diocese of Fort Worth
Nominations will be accepted through Monday, September 9, 2019, and should be emailed to email@example.com.